[Filed December 20, 2018, 3:20 p.m.]
Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 18-17-120.
Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: Amends chapter 179-11 WAC to specify requirements for the general paraeducator certificate.
Hearing Location(s): On March 20, 2019, at 8:30, at the Seattle Marriot Hotel, 3201 South 176th Street, Seattle, WA 98188.
Date of Intended Adoption: March 20, 2019.
Submit Written Comments to: David Brenna, 600 Washington Street, Olympia, WA 98504, email email@example.com, fax 360-586-4548, by March 13, 2019.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact David Brenna, phone 360-725-6238, fax 360-586-4548, email firstname.lastname@example.org, by March 20, 2019.
Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: Amended regulations for the general paraeducator certificate as required in HB [ESHB] 1115, 2017.
Reasons Supporting Proposal: Statutory requirement.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: Chapter 28A.413
Statute Being Implemented: Chapter 28A.413
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Name of Proponent: State legislature, governmental.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting, Implementation, and Enforcement: David Brenna, 600 Washington Street, Olympia, WA 98504, 360-725-6238.
A school district fiscal impact statement is not required under RCW 28A.305.135
A cost-benefit analysis is not required under RCW 34.05.328
. Regulatory change does not have a fiscal impact.
This rule proposal, or portions of the proposal, is exempt from requirements of the Regulatory Fairness Act because the proposal:
Is exempt under RCW 19.85.025
(3) as the rule content is explicitly and specifically dictated by statute.
December 20, 2018
Senior Policy Analyst
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 18-16-107, filed 7/31/18, effective 8/31/18)
(1) School districts must implement this section only in school years for which state funding is appropriated specifically for the purposes of this section and only for the number of days that are funded by the appropriation.
(2) The paraeducator must complete the general paraeducator certificate in three years after completing the fundamental course of study, as follows:
(a) If the fundamental course of study is completed prior to June 30th of a calendar year, then it shall have a completion date calculated on the basis that it was completed on June 30th of the same calendar year regardless of the date of completion; and
(b) If the fundamental course of study is completed July 1st or later in the calendar year, then it shall have a completion date calculated on the basis that it was completed on June 30th of the next calendar year regardless of the date of completion.
(3) To attain the paraeducator general certificate, the paraeducator must complete training that meets in-service education approval standards as written in chapter 181-85 WAC.
(4) A maximum of one professional growth plan may be completed towards the attainment of the general paraeducator certificate.
(5) A paraeducator who holds the English language learner subject matter certificate and/or special education subject matter certificate may deduct twenty continuing education credit hours per subject matter certificate from the hours required to meet the general paraeducator certificate.
(((5)))(6) The paraeducator shall be responsible for completing filing requirements with the superintendent of public instruction, in accordance with WAC 179-01-020, the completion of the general paraeducator certificate.