DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
(Board of Naturopathy)
[Filed March 27, 2019, 12:47 p.m., effective April 27, 2019]
Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
Purpose: WAC 246-836-150 Full approval of colleges of naturopathic medicine, the board of naturopathy (board) adopted amendments to WAC 246-836-150 that address the process by which naturopathic medical schools maintain board approval. The current rule requires naturopathic medical schools to apply to the board for approval every five years; however, the current rule also accepts accreditation by the Council on Naturopathic Medical Education (CNME) as fulfilling the approval criteria. The adopted amendments streamline the process of board approval renewal by exempting CNME-accredited schools from renewal so long as the school maintains uninterrupted CNME accreditation status. If a school fails to maintain CNME accreditation, that school becomes unapproved and must formally reapply to the board for approval.
Citation of Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 246-836-150.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 18-20-121 on October 3, 2018.
A final cost-benefit analysis is available by contacting Susan Gragg, P.O. Box 47852, Olympia, WA 98504-7852, phone 360-236-4941, fax 360-236-2901, TTY 360-833-6388 or 711, email email@example.com, web site www.doh.wa.gov.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at the Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: November 16, 2018.
Chad Aschtgen, ND
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 12-13-104, filed 6/20/12, effective 7/21/12)
WAC 246-836-150Full approval of colleges of naturopathic medicine.
(1) Full approval of a college of naturopathic medicine is the approval given by the board to
a program that meets the requirements of RCW 18.36A.100
and this chapter.
(a) Colleges of naturopathic medicine ((seeking full approval shall apply to the board on a form and in a manner prescribed by the board.
(b) Those naturopathic colleges holding current))that hold accreditation by the ((CNME need only reference their current CNME accreditation, which will be verified by the board))Council on Naturopathic Medical Education (CNME) as of February 2017 are exempt from the requirement to apply for full approval; however, such colleges shall be subject to all other provisions of this chapter. Colleges of naturopathic medicine that fail to maintain CNME accreditation must seek board approval as outlined in this chapter.
(b) Colleges of naturopathic medicine that do not hold CNME accreditation and seek full approval must apply to the board on a form and in a manner prescribed by the board.
(2) The board may grant full approval to naturopathic colleges which have demonstrated compliance with the standards contained in this chapter and RCW 18.36A.100
(3) To be eligible for full approval a naturopathic college must have been in continuous operation for a period of at least three years.
(4) After approval by the board, periodic reports may be required. Failure to conform to or maintain established standards may result in loss of approval. With the exception of those schools that continue to maintain CNME accreditation as outlined in subsection (1)(a) of this section, no naturopathic college shall receive full approval for a period longer than five years. Prior to the expiration of the period of approval, the college must apply to the board for renewal of approval using the same criteria required under subsection (1) of this section. The responsibility for renewal rests solely with the naturopathic college. The board shall review the application and make a final decision of approval or disapproval in not more than one hundred twenty days.
(5) If a naturopathic college fails to maintain the required standards or fails to report significant institutional changes, including changes in location, within ninety days of the change, the board may revoke or suspend approval. The board may contact a naturopathic college at any time, either through an evaluation committee or representative, to audit, inspect or gather information concerning the college's compliance with the required standards.
(6) After suspension of approval of a naturopathic college, the board may reinstate approval upon receipt of satisfactory evidence that the college meets the standards of chapter 18.36A
RCW and this chapter.
(7) After revocation of approval of a naturopathic college, a college may seek provisional approval, if otherwise qualified.