FISH AND WILDLIFE
[Order 19-282—Filed November 12, 2019, 4:54 p.m., effective November 13, 2019]
Effective Date of Rule: November 13, 2019.
Purpose: Amend recreational salmon fishing rules for Willapa Bay and its tributaries.
Citation of Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 220-312-020 and 220-313-070.
Under RCW 34.05.350
the agency for good cause finds that immediate adoption, amendment, or repeal of a rule is necessary for the preservation of the public health, safety, or general welfare, and that observing the time requirements of notice and opportunity to comment upon adoption of a permanent rule would be contrary to the public interest.
Reasons for this Finding: These measures are necessary to close recreational salmon fishing in Willapa Bay and its tributaries. Coho salmon returns to tributaries in the Willapa Bay watershed have been significantly lower than preseason predictions. Retention of all salmon is prohibited in all fisheries prosecuted in the Willapa Bay watershed as a conservation measure. Managers will continue to assess coho returns and reopen if warranted. There is insufficient time to adopt permanent rules.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at the Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's own Initiative: New 2, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: November 12, 2019.
Amy H. Windrope
for Kelly Susewind
WAC 220-312-02000WFreshwater exceptions to statewide rules—Coast.
Notwithstanding the provisions of WAC 220-312-020, effective November 13, 2019 until further notice, Salmon angling is closed in the following waters:
1) Bear River - (Pacific Co) from mouth (Hwy 101 Bridge) to Lime Quarry Rd (approx. 2 river miles)
2) Forks Creek - from Forks Creek Hatchery rack upstream 500' at fishing boundary sign
3) Naselle River - from the Hwy 101 Bridge to the Crown Mainline (Salme) Bridge
4) Nemah River, Middle - from mouth upstream to the Dept. of Natural Resources decommissioned bridge on Middle Nemah A-line Rd
5) Nemah River, North - from Hwy 101 Bridge upstream to N700 Rd (46° 28.58N, 123° 48.54W)
6) Nemah River, South - from mouth (Lynn Point 117 true to opposite shore) upstream
7) North River - from Hwy 105 Bridge to Fall River
8) Smith Creek (Pacific Co. near North River) - from mouth to Hwy 101 Bridge
9) Willapa River - from mouth (City of South Bend boat launch) to Hwy 6 Bridge (near the town of Lebam)
10) Willapa River, South Fork - from mouth to Pehl Rd Bridge
WAC 220-313-07000TCoastal salmon—Saltwater seasons and daily limits.
Notwithstanding the provisions of WAC 220-313-070, effective November 13, 2019 until further notice, Salmon angling is closed in Catch Record Card Area 2-1.