[Filed March 5, 2020, 9:55 a.m.]
Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: WAC 392-340-336 Regional committee members—Position numbers—Appointments—Terms of office.
Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: The office of the superintendent of public instruction is proposing expedited rule making to amend WAC 392-340-336(2) to include position five for the regional committee. This WAC section describes the member position term length for the committee. Position five was inadvertently excluded in the list of regional committee member positions.
Reasons Supporting Proposal: The proposed rule making concerns the appointed regional committee tasked with decision making regarding school district boundaries. The regional committee members are appointed by an educational service district superintendent and is made up of nine members serving a four-year term, appointed in even-numbered years. Appointment year is staggered between odd-numbered positions (1, 3, 5, 7, 9) and even-numbered positions (2, 4, 6, 8).
Statutory Authority for Adoption: 28A.525.020.
Statute Being Implemented: 28A.315.095.
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
This notice meets the following criteria to use the expedited adoption process for these rules:
Corrects typographical errors, make address or name changes, or clarify language of a rule without changing its effect.
THIS RULE IS BEING PROPOSED UNDER AN EXPEDITED RULE-MAKING PROCESS THAT WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED FOR THE AGENCY TO HOLD PUBLIC HEARINGS, PREPARE A SMALL BUSINESS ECONOMIC IMPACT STATEMENT, OR PROVIDE RESPONSES TO THE CRITERIA FOR A SIGNIFICANT LEGISLATIVE RULE. IF YOU OBJECT TO THIS USE OF THE EXPEDITED RULE-MAKING PROCESS, YOU MUST EXPRESS YOUR OBJECTIONS IN WRITING AND THEY MUST BE SENT TO Kristin Murphy, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction Legal Services, P.O. Box 47200, Olympia, WA 98504-7200, phone 360-725-6133, fax 360-753-4201, email Kristin.email@example.com, AND RECEIVED BY May 19, 2020.
March 5, 2020
Chris P. S. Reykdal
of Public Instruction
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 09-03-053, filed 1/13/09, effective 2/13/09)
WAC 392-340-336Regional committee members—Position numbers—Appointments—Terms of office.
(1) Regional committee members shall be appointed by the educational service district boards of directors in accordance with RCW 28A.315.105
(2) Regional committee member position numbers shall be assigned by the educational service district superintendent. Regional committee member positions one, three, five,
seven, and nine shall serve terms staggered with positions two, four, six, and eight. Each position shall correspond to an educational service district director districts determined pursuant to chapter 28A.310
(3) Regular appointments of regional committee members shall be made in even-numbered years for four-year terms.
(4) Appointments to fill vacancies occurring during a term shall be made as soon as possible and shall be for the remainder of the original term.
(5) Each committee member must reside in the director district for which the appointment is made.