[Filed May 29, 2020, 1:45 p.m.]
Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 20-08-015.
Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: WAC 181-79A-118 Extension of certificate expiration dates.
Hearing Location(s): On July 16, 2020, at 8 a.m., at Marriott Seattle Airport, SeaTac, 3201 South 176th Street, Seattle, WA 98188.
Date of Intended Adoption: July 16, 2020.
Submit Written Comments to: Professional Educator Standards Board, P.O. Box 47236, 600 Washington Street S.E., Olympia, WA 98504-7236, email firstname.lastname@example.org, by 8:00 a.m., July 16, 2020.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB), phone 360-725-6275, email email@example.com, by May 29 [June 26], 2020.
Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: This new section would allow for the extension of the expiration date of certain educator certificates expiring June 30, 2020. The certificates would now expire June 30, 2021. Holders of many one year permits would be granted an additional one year permit.
Reasons Supporting Proposal: Because of school closures relating to the current public health situation, it is very challenging for educators to meet the clock hour and assessment requirements for their certificates.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: Chapter 28A.410
Statute Being Implemented: Chapter 28A.410
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Name of Proponent: PESB, governmental.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting: Maren Johnson, P.O. Box 47236, 600 Washington Street S.E., Olympia, WA 98504-7236, 360-725-6264; Implementation and Enforcement: PESB, P.O. Box 47236, 600 Washington Street S.E., Olympia, WA 98504-7236.
A school district fiscal impact statement is not required under RCW 28A.305.135
A cost-benefit analysis is not required under RCW 34.05.328
This rule proposal, or portions of the proposal, is exempt from requirements of the Regulatory Fairness Act because the proposal:
Is exempt under RCW 19.85.025
(3) as the rules relate only to internal governmental operations that are not subject to violation by a nongovernment party.
May 22, 2020
WAC 181-79A-118Expiration and lapse dates of certificates.
(1) Certificates scheduled to expire June 30, 2020, under WAC 181-79A-117, or scheduled to lapse June 30, 2020, under WAC 181-85-100, excluding residency certificates that are subject to reissuance, are scheduled to expire or lapse June 30, 2021.
(2) Certificates scheduled to expire June 30, 2020, under WAC 181-79A-117, or scheduled to lapse June 30, 2020, under WAC 181-85-100, may have already been renewed. For these renewed certificates, the expiration or lapse date will be calculated as if the certificate expiring June 30, 2020, had an expiration or lapse date of June 30, 2021.
(3) Applications for renewal of certificates scheduled to expire June 30, 2021, which were previously scheduled to expire June 30, 2020, may be submitted at any point prior to the June 30, 2021, expiration date.
(4) Limited certificates under WAC 181-79A-231, 181-77-014, and 181-77-081 expire as described in those sections.
(5) Permits under WAC 181-01-001, 181-02-001, 181-79A-128, and 181-79A-224 expire as described in those sections. Permits for candidates eligible under those sections which expired beginning July 1, 2019, and before December 31, 2020, may be reissued once for one additional year.