[Filed May 29, 2020, 1:51 p.m.]
Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 20-08-013.
Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: WAC 181-79A-228 Emergency teacher certificates.
Hearing Location(s): On July 16, 2020, at 8 a.m., at Marriott Seattle Airport, SeaTac, 3201 South 176th Street, Seattle, WA 98188.
Date of Intended Adoption: July 16, 2020.
Submit Written Comments to: Professional Educator Standards Board, P.O. Box 47236, 600 Washington Street S.E., Olympia, WA 98504-7236, email firstname.lastname@example.org, by 8:00 a.m., July 13, 2020.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB), phone 360-725-6275, email email@example.com, by May 29 [June 26], 2020.
Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: Washington state approved teacher preparation programs may recommend candidates for an emergency certificate if they have met all program completion requirements with the exception of one or more of the assessment requirements.
Reasons Supporting Proposal: Testing centers are now closed due to public health reasons, and it is very challenging to complete the assessments. This allows individuals to serve in the role of teacher for one year, allowing them to complete their assessment requirements.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: Chapter 28A.410
Statute Being Implemented: Chapter 28A.410
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Name of Proponent: PESB, governmental.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting: Maren Johnson, P.O. Box 47236, 600 Washington Street S.E., Olympia, WA 98504-7236, 360-725-6264; Implementation and Enforcement: PESB, P.O. Box 47236, 600 Washington Street S.E., Olympia, WA 98504-7236.
A school district fiscal impact statement is not required under RCW 28A.305.135
A cost-benefit analysis is not required under RCW 34.05.328
This rule proposal, or portions of the proposal, is exempt from requirements of the Regulatory Fairness Act because the proposal:
Is exempt under RCW 19.85.025
(3) as the rules relate only to internal governmental operations that are not subject to violation by a nongovernment party.
May 26, 2020
WAC 181-79A-228Emergency teacher certificates.
Emergency teacher certificates, valid for one year, may be issued by the superintendent of public instruction under the following conditions:
(1) A teacher preparation program approved by the professional educator standards board has recommended the candidate as having met all requirements for program completion with the exception of one or more of the following:
(a) The performance assessment as described in WAC 181-78A-232 and 181-78A-300;
(b) The content knowledge assessment as described in WAC 181-78A-300 (2)(b); and
(c) The basic skills assessment as described in WAC 181-78A-232 and 181-78A-300.
(2) During the validity period of the certificate, preparation program providers are required to inform, advise, and support applicants on assessment requirements as described in WAC 181-78A-231(3).
(3) Teacher preparation programs may recommend candidates for an emergency certificate under this section through June 30, 2021.
(4) One additional one-year emergency certificate may be issued upon recommendation by the preparation program provider. Teacher preparation programs may recommend candidates for this additional one-year emergency certificate through December 31, 2021.