[Filed July 25, 2020, 10:39 a.m., effective August 25, 2020]
Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
Purpose: This WAC amendment provides for a one-year multiple measures pilot for the edTPA. This multiple measures pilot process allows for greater flexibility for pathways into the profession.
Citation of Rules Affected by this Order: New WAC 181-78A-340.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: Chapter 28A.410
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 20-12-067 on July 16, 2020 [June 1, 2020].
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at the Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's own Initiative: New 1, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: July 23, 2020.
WAC 181-78A-340Pilot of multiple measures for the teacher performance assessment.
(1) Preparation program providers approved in the endorsement areas designated by the professional educator standards board must ensure that their teacher candidates achieve the multiple measures pilot passing score set by the board for the teacher performance assessment.
(2) Candidates who achieve this pilot passing score, but do not achieve the score otherwise set by the board, may be recommended for certification if upon review of one or more multiple measures, the program provider determines the candidate has demonstrated the requisite knowledge and skills.
(3) Preparation program providers may use one or more of the following multiple measures as the basis for their review:
(a) Observation of practice in the role as documented by the mentor teacher or the preparation program provider;
(b) Evidence submitted by the candidate to the program provider in the areas of planning, instruction, or student assessment;
(c) Coursework; or
(d) Other measures as determined by the program provider.
(4) Program providers may recommend a candidate for certification if they determine the candidate has the requisite knowledge and skills, and the candidate has met all other requirements for program completion. Candidates may be recommended under this section until a date as determined by the professional educator standards board.
(5) Preparation programs in the indicated endorsement areas may choose to not participate in this pilot, and require the passing score otherwise set by the board.
(6) Preparation program providers participating in this pilot must report requested data to the professional educator standards board by the dates set by the professional educator standards board.