[Filed January 27, 2021, 3:07 p.m., effective January 27, 2021, 3:07 p.m.]
Effective Date of Rule: Immediately upon filing.
Purpose: Washington state approved teacher preparation programs may recommend candidates for an emergency certificate if they have met all program completion requirements with the exception of one or more of the assessment requirements. The emergency certificate allows teachers to serve in the role while they meet assessment requirements.
Citation of Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 181-79A-228.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: Chapter 28A.410
Under RCW 34.05.350
the agency for good cause finds that immediate adoption, amendment, or repeal of a rule is necessary for the preservation of the public health, safety, or general welfare, and that observing the time requirements of notice and opportunity to comment upon adoption of a permanent rule would be contrary to the public interest.
Reasons for this Finding: Educators are issued permits when they come in from out of state, and have met all certificate requirements with the exception of assessments. Permits allow educators to serve while they complete assessments. Testing centers are open, but they are operating at reduced capacity to allow for social distancing. This makes it challenging for educators to get an appointment date. This permit extension would provide additional flexibility for educators in completing their assessment requirements during COVID[-19] closures.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at the Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's own Initiative: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: January 27, 2021.
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 20-16-034, filed 7/25/20, effective 8/25/20)
WAC 181-79A-228Emergency teacher certificates.
Emergency teacher certificates, valid for one year, may be issued by the superintendent of public instruction under the following conditions:
(1) A teacher preparation program approved by the professional educator standards board has recommended the candidate as having met all requirements for program completion with the exception of one or more of the following:
(a) The performance assessment as described in WAC 181-78A-232 ((and 181-78A-300));
(b) The content knowledge assessment as described in chapter 181-78A WAC ((181-78A-300 (2)(b))); and
(c) The basic skills assessment as described in WAC 181-78A-232 ((and 181-78A-300)).
(2) During the validity period of the certificate, preparation program providers are required to inform, advise, and support applicants on assessment requirements as described in WAC 181-78A-231(3).
(3) Teacher preparation programs may recommend candidates for an emergency certificate under this section through ((June 30))December 31, 2021.
(4) One additional one-year emergency certificate may be issued upon recommendation by the preparation program provider. Teacher preparation programs may recommend candidates for this additional one-year emergency certificate through ((December 31, 2021))June 30, 2022.
(5) Candidates recommended for an emergency certificate under this section must apply for that certificate through the office of superintendent of public instruction no later than December 31, 2022.