[Filed March 24, 2021, 12:14 p.m., effective April 24, 2021]
Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
Purpose: Emergency rules were filed in January 2021 to amend WAC 181-79A-228 to extend timeframe for emergency certificates. These WAC amendments were adopted as permanent rule in [the] March 2021 board meeting.
Citation of Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 181-79A-228.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: Chapter 28A.410
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 21-04-105 on March 18, 2021.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at the Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: March 23, 2021.
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 20-16-034, filed 7/25/20, effective 8/25/20)
WAC 181-79A-228Emergency teacher certificates.
Emergency teacher certificates, valid for one year, may be issued by the superintendent of public instruction under the following conditions:
(1) A teacher preparation program approved by the professional educator standards board has recommended the candidate as having met all requirements for program completion with the exception of one or more of the following:
(a) The performance assessment as described in WAC 181-78A-232 ((and 181-78A-300));
(b) The content knowledge assessment as described in chapter 181-78A WAC ((181-78A-300 (2)(b))); and
(c) The basic skills assessment as described in WAC 181-78A-232 ((and 181-78A-300)).
(2) During the validity period of the certificate, preparation program providers are required to inform, advise, and support applicants on assessment requirements as described in WAC 181-78A-231(3).
(3) Teacher preparation programs may recommend candidates for an emergency certificate under this section through ((June 30))December 31, 2021.
(4) One additional one-year emergency certificate may be issued upon recommendation by the preparation program provider. Teacher preparation programs may recommend candidates for this additional one-year emergency certificate through ((December 31, 2021))June 30, 2022.
(5) Candidates recommended for an emergency certificate under this section must apply for that certificate through the office of superintendent of public instruction no later than December 31, 2022.