WSR 22-01-143
(Economic Services Administration)
[Filed December 15, 2021, 9:31 a.m., effective January 15, 2022]
Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
Purpose: The department is amending WAC 388-310-0800 WorkFirstSupport services, and 388-310-1800 WorkFirstPost employment services, to expand access to support services for WorkFirst participants by allowing more supports for participation activities, increasing the annual support services limit to $5000 per person per program year, and providing certain post-TANF transportation related supports for up to three months after exiting TANF.
Citation of Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 388-310-0800 and 388-310-1800.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.04.500, 74.04.510, 74.08.090, 74.08A.120, and 74.08A.250.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 21-21-053 on October 15, 2021.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at the Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 2, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 2, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: December 15, 2021.
Katherine I. Vasquez
Rules Coordinator
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 15-18-024, filed 8/25/15, effective 9/25/15)
WAC 388-310-0800WorkFirstSupport services.
(1) Who can get support services?
People who can get support services include:
(a) WorkFirst participants who receive a TANF cash grant;
(b) Sanctioned WorkFirst participants during the required participation before the sanction is lifted or applicants who were terminated while in noncompliance sanction who are doing activities required to reopen cash assistance (WAC 388-310-1600);
(c) TANF/SFA applicants as needed to meet the WorkFirst orientation requirements under WAC 388-400-0005(2) or 388-400-0010(3);
(d) Unmarried or pregnant minors who are income eligible to receive TANF and are:
(i) Living in a department approved living arrangement (WAC 388-486-0005) and are meeting the school requirements (WAC 388-486-0010); or
(ii) Are actively working with a social worker and need support services to remove the barriers that are preventing them from living in a department approved living arrangement and/or meeting the school requirements.
(e) American Indians who receive a TANF cash grant and have identified specific needs due to location or employment.
(f) Former WorkFirst participants who are working at least 15 hours per week or more, for up to three months after leaving TANF if they need employment-related transportation support services to meet a temporary need or emergency.
(2) Why do I receive support services?
Although not an entitlement, you may receive support services for the following reasons:
(a) To help you participate in work and WorkFirst activities that lead to independence.
(b) To help you to participate in job search, accept a job, keep working, advance in your job, and/or increase your wages.
(c) You can also get help in paying your child care expenses through the working connections child care assistance program. (Chapter ((170-290))110-15 WAC describes the rules for this child care assistance program.)
(3) What type of support services may I receive and what limits apply?
There is a limit of ((three))five thousand dollars per person per program year (July 1st to June 30th) for WorkFirst support services you may receive. ((Some types of support services have dollar limit restrictions.))
The chart below shows the types of support services that are available for the different activities (as indicated by an "x") and the restrictions that apply.
• Work-related activities include looking for work or participating in workplace activities, such as community jobs or a work experience position.
•• Safety-related activities include meeting significant or emergency family safety needs, such as dealing with family violence.
••• Some support services are available if you need them for other required activities in your IRP.
Type of Support Service
Reasonable accommodation for employment
Same rate as established by OFM for state employees
Personal hygiene
Professional, trade, association, union and bonds
Relocation related to employment or safety (can include rent, housing, and deposits)
Short-term lodging and meals in connection with job interviews/tests
Same rate as established by OFM for state employees
Car repair needed to restore car to operable condition
Mileage reimbursement
Same rate as established by OFM for state employees
Transportation allotment, including fuel support
Educational expenses
Medical exams (not covered by medicaid)
Public transportation
(4) What are the other requirements to receive support services?
Other restrictions on receiving support services are determined by the department or its agents. They will consider whether:
(a) It is within available funds; and
(b) It does not assist, promote, or deter religious activity; and
(c) There is no other way to meet the cost.
(5) What happens to my support services if I do not participate as required?
The department will give you ten days notice, following the rules in WAC 388-310-1600, then discontinue your support services until you participate as required.
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 20-22-020, filed 10/23/20, effective 11/23/20)
WAC 388-310-1800WorkFirst—Post employment services.
(1) What is the purpose of post employment services?
Post employment services help TANF or SFA parents who are working twenty hours or more a week keep and cope with their current jobs, look for better jobs, gain work skills for a career and become self sufficient.
(2) How do I obtain post employment services?
You may obtain post employment services by:
(a) Asking for a referral from the local community service office;
(b) Contacting community or technical colleges; or
(c) Contacting the employment security department.
(3) Who provides post employment services and what kind of services do they provide?
(a) The employment security department may help you increase your wages, increase your job skills or find a better job by providing you with:
(i) Employment and career counseling;
(ii) Labor market information;
(iii) Job leads for a better job (sometimes called job development);
(iv) On the job training;
(v) Help with finding a job that matches your interests, abilities and skills (sometimes called job matching); and
(vi) Help with finding a new job after job loss (sometimes called reemployment).
(b) Any Washington state technical and community college may approve a skill-training program for you that will help you advance up the career ladder. Their staff will talk to you, help you decide what training would work best for you and then help you get enrolled in these programs. The college may approve the following types of training for you at any certified institution:
(i) High school/GED;
(ii) Vocational education training;
(iii) Job skills training;
(iv) Adult basic education;
(v) English as a second language training; or
(vi) Preemployment training.
(4) What other services are available while you receive post employment services?
While you receive post employment services, you may qualify for:
(a) Working connections childcare, if you meet the criteria for this program under chapter 110-15 WAC.
(b) Other support services, such as help in paying for transportation or work expenses if you meet the criteria for this program (WAC 388-310-0800).
(c) Other types of assistance for low-income families such as basic food ((stamps)) or help with getting child support that is due to you and your children.
(5) Who is eligible for post employment services?
(a) If you are a current TANF or SFA recipient, you may qualify for post employment services if you are working ((twenty))20 hours or more a week, unless you are in sanction status.
(b) If you are a former TANF or SFA recipient, unless you are in sanction status, you may qualify for post-TANF employment transportation support services for up to three months after exiting TANF or SFA, if you are working 15 hours or more per week.
(6) What if I lose my job while I am receiving post employment services?
If you now receive TANF or SFA, help is available to you so that you may find another job and continue in your approved post employment services.
(a) The employment security department will provide you with reemployment services.
(b) At the same time, your case manager may approve support services and childcare for you.