[Filed January 25, 2022, 3:55 p.m., effective January 25, 2022, 3:55 p.m.]
Effective Date of Rule: Immediately upon filing.
Purpose: Communities continue to experience a public health crisis related to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19. Educator preparation programs and their candidates face ongoing challenges related to this public health situation. These emergency rule changes would extend existing pandemic supports that address these challenges for educator preparation programs and candidates. The pandemic supports include:
|•||WAC 181-78A-027 Waiver of clinical practice and coursework by a preparation program provider: This section allows preparation program providers to review a candidate's work and learning experiences, and waive required clinical practice and/or coursework if the program determines the candidate has the knowledge and skills to be otherwise gained from the required clinical practice or coursework.|
|•||WAC 181-79A-228 Emergency teacher certificates: This section allows for emergency certificates for teacher preparation program candidates who have not completed assessment requirements, but have completed all other program completion requirements. These emergency certificates are valid for one year.|
Citation of Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 181-78A-027 and 181-79A-228.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: Chapter 28A.410
Under RCW 34.05.350
the agency for good cause finds that immediate adoption, amendment, or repeal of a rule is necessary for the preservation of the public health, safety, or general welfare, and that observing the time requirements of notice and opportunity to comment upon adoption of a permanent rule would be contrary to the public interest.
Reasons for this Finding: Changes in educational settings due to current public health concerns mean that some educator candidates are unable to complete clinical practice and coursework in traditional settings and may be unable to take required assessments (i.e. basic skills and content knowledge assessments) in a timely manner. WAC 181-78A-027 allows preparation programs to review a candidate's previous field experience and coursework to determine if the candidate has the requisite knowledge and skills. WAC 181-79A-228 would allow emergency certificates for candidates who have not completed assessment requirements. Emergency certificates allow candidates to serve in their educator role while they complete the assessment requirements.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at the Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's own Initiative: New 0, Amended 2, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: January 25, 2022.
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 20-16-033, filed 7/25/20, effective 8/25/20)
WAC 181-78A-027Waiver of clinical practice and course work by a preparation program provider.
(1) Based on review of current educational settings, and review of a candidate's previous course work, field experiences, work experiences, and alternative learning experiences, an educator preparation program provider may waive or reduce in length the required clinical practice, and/or waive required course work, if based on the review the provider determines that the candidate has the knowledge and skills to be otherwise gained from the required clinical practice or course work.
(2) Under this section, educator preparation program providers may waive or reduce in length the required clinical practice and/or course work through June 30, ((2021))2023.
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 21-08-001, filed 3/24/21, effective 4/24/21)
WAC 181-79A-228Emergency teacher certificates.
Emergency teacher certificates, valid for one year, may be issued by the superintendent of public instruction under the following conditions:
(1) A teacher preparation program approved by the professional educator standards board has recommended the candidate as having met all requirements for program completion with the exception of one or more of the following:
(a) The performance assessment as described in WAC 181-78A-232;
(b) The content knowledge assessment as described in chapter 181-78A WAC; and
(c) The basic skills assessment as described in WAC 181-78A-232.
(2) During the validity period of the certificate, preparation program providers are required to inform, advise, and support applicants on assessment requirements as described in WAC 181-78A-231(3).
(3) Teacher preparation programs may recommend candidates for an emergency certificate under this section through ((December 31, 2021))June 30, 2023.
(4) One additional one-year emergency certificate may be issued upon recommendation by the preparation program provider. Teacher preparation programs may recommend candidates for this additional one-year emergency certificate through June 30, ((2022))2024.
(5) Candidates recommended for an emergency certificate under this section must apply for that certificate through the office of superintendent of public instruction no later than December 31, ((2022))2024.