[Filed May 19, 2023, 1:17 p.m.]
Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 23-07-105.
Hearing Location(s): On July 20, 2023, at 9:30 a.m., at Washington State Gambling Commission, 4565 7th Avenue S.E., Lacey, WA 98503. The meeting time and location will be posted approximately one week prior to the meeting on our website at www.wsgc.wa.gov. Select "The Commission" and then select "Public Meetings" to confirm the hearing date, location, start time, and agenda items.
Date of Intended Adoption: July 20, 2023.
Submit Written Comments to: Lisa C. McLean, P.O. Box 42400, Olympia, WA 98504-2400, email firstname.lastname@example.org, www.wsgc.wa.gov, by July 19, 2023.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Julie Anderson, phone 360-486-3453, TTY 360-486-3637, email Julieemail@example.com, www.wsgc.wa.gov, by July 19, 2023.
Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: The proposed rule would allow the connection of more than one progressive jackpot on different card games, which the petitioner explains would provide more options to players interested in placing wagers on progressive jackpots.
Reasons Supporting Proposal: At present, players can wager on: (1) Multiple progressive jackpots at a single gambling table; (2) multiple progressive jackpots connected to the same game across multiple gambling tables; and (3) different gambling tables offering different card games connected to one progressive jackpot. Allowing connection of more than one progressive jackpot across different card games at different gambling tables would not alter in any way the existing gambling commission's regulatory framework related to progressive jackpots.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 9.46.070
Statute Being Implemented: RCW 9.46.070
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Name of Proponent: Tiffini Cox, Galaxy Gaming, Inc. of Las Vegas, NV, public.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting: Lisa C. McLean, Legislative and Policy Manager, 4565 7th Avenue S.E., Lacey, WA 98503, 360-486-3454; Implementation: Tina Griffin, Director, 4565 7th Avenue S.E., Lacey, WA 98503, 360-486-3456; and Enforcement: Gary Drumheller, Assistant Director, 4565 7th Avenue S.E., Lacey, WA 98503, 509-325-7904.
A school district fiscal impact statement is not required under RCW 28A.305.135
A cost-benefit analysis is not required under RCW 34.05.328
. A cost-benefit analysis is not required per RCW 34.05.328
This rule proposal, or portions of the proposal, is exempt from requirements of the Regulatory Fairness Act because the proposal:
Is exempt under RCW 19.85.025
(3) as the rule content is explicitly and specifically dictated by statute.
Scope of exemption for rule proposal:
Is fully exempt.
May 19, 2023
Lisa C. McLean
Legislative and Policy Manager
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 21-11-057, filed 5/14/21, effective 6/14/21)
WAC 230-15-685Restrictions on progressive jackpots.
House-banked card room licensees operating progressive jackpots must follow these restrictions and procedures:
(1) Progressive jackpot funds must accrue according to the rules of the game.
(2) At each gambling table, licensees must prominently post the amount of the progressive jackpot that players can win along with any associated pay tables.
(3) Licensees may establish a maximum limit on a progressive jackpot prize. If licensees establish a limit, they must make the amount equal to, or greater than, the amount of the jackpot when they imposed the limit. They must prominently post a notice of the limit at or near the game.
(4) Licensees may connect progressive jackpots. Progressive jackpots are considered "connected" when jackpot prize displays at gaming tables incrementally increase at the same time after players place jackpot wagers. Connected progressive jackpot displays must show the same prize amounts. Licensees may only connect progressive jackpots:
(a) When offered on the same card game on multiple tables within the same licensed location; or
(b) When offered on different card games on multiple tables within the same licensed location ((when the following requirements are met. Only one progressive jackpot may be operated on a card game at a time and the card games)). The card games offering the progressive jackpot(s) must have:
(i) The same probability of winning the jackpot prize; and
(ii) The same winning hand.
(5) When gambling equipment will allow a progressive jackpot between different manufacturers, the gambling equipment must be submitted for testing for interoperability in accordance with WAC 230-06-050.