Exempt from preproposal statement of inquiry under RCW 34.05.310(4).
Title of Rule: Amending WAC 356-14-010 Compensation plan -- General provisions, 356-14-026 Salary surveys, 251-08-005 Compensation plans -- General, and 251-08-021 Compensation plans -- Salary surveys; and repealing WAC 356-14-060 Compensation plan -- Additional salary surveys and studies, 251-08-051 Compensation plans -- Implementation, 251-08-060 Compensation plans -- Additional salary survey, and 251-01-180 Fringe benefits.
Purpose: The rules pertain to the compensation plan and salary surveys for state employees.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: Chapter 41.06 RCW.
Statute Being Implemented: RCW 41.06.150.
Summary: These changes are necessary due to the passage of SHB 1268. The portion of the bill that affects these rules becomes effective June 13, 2002.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting: Sharon Whitehead, 521 Capitol Way South, Olympia, WA, (360) 664-6348; Implementation and Enforcement: Department of Personnel.
Name of Proponent: Department of Personnel, governmental.
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Explanation of Rule, its Purpose, and Anticipated Effects: These rules pertain to the compensation plan and salary surveys for state employees. These modifications are due to the passage of SHB 1268. These modifications reflect language that was deleted or changed in the statute.
Proposal Changes the Following Existing Rules: See above.
No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW. Not required.
RCW 34.05.328 does not apply to this rule adoption.
Hearing Location: Department of Personnel, 521 Capitol Way South, Olympia, WA, on July 11, 2002, at 10:00 a.m.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Department of Personnel by July 5, 2002, TDD (360) 753-4107, or (360) 586-8260.
Submit Written Comments to: Sharon Whitehead, Department of Personnel, P.O. Box 47500, fax (360) 586-4694, by July 5, 2002.
Date of Intended Adoption: July 11, 2002.
June 4, 2002
E. C. Matt
(1) Full compensation to each employee for all work assigned and performed and consideration of all compensation to the employee in setting the employee's salary.
(2) Salary range schedules including the first, intervening, and maximum steps of each range.
(3) Assignment of each classification to a salary range
giving full consideration to the prevailing rates in Washington
state private industries, and other governmental units((
positions of a similar nature to provide like pay for like
(4) Work period designation of each classification, or individual positions within a classification.
(5) Rates of premium pay, shift premium, and standby pay schedules determined by the board in the same manner as are basic salaries.
(6) Appropriate statistical standards and reporting
requirements as outlined in chapter 356-14 WAC for comprehensive
and trend salary/fringe benefit surveys.))
[Statutory Authority: RCW 41.06.150. 98-19-034, § 356-14-010, filed 9/10/98, effective 10/12/98; 86-14-071 (Order 253), § 356-14-010, filed 7/1/86, effective 8/1/86. Statutory Authority: RCW 41.06.150(17). 81-23-031 (Order 163), § 356-14-010, filed 11/16/81; Order 98, § 356-14-010, filed 1/13/77, effective 2/13/77; Order 86, § 356-14-010, filed 5/4/76, effective 10/1/76*; Order 78, § 356-14-010, filed 5/19/75; Order 71, § 356-14-010, filed 12/30/74; Order 36, § 356-14-010, filed 7/1/71, effective 8/1/71. Formerly WAC 356-08-110, 356-08-115.]
(2) All classes shall be identified and indexed (affixed)
to a particular salary survey benchmark class (or group average
of selected benchmark classes). Such indexing shall display the
number of salary schedule ranges that each class is aligned
above, the same, or below the respective benchmark class or
group. Such class-by-class indexing shall be published on
twenty-day notice and approved by the board.
(3) The salary relationships so established by indexing will remain the same upon application of the salary survey data to respective benchmark classes and groups: Provided, That the board may approve exceptions to correct for inequities, substantial changes in duties and responsibilities, or recruiting and retention problems, consistent with other provisions of this chapter.))
[Statutory Authority: RCW 41.06.150. 98-19-034, § 356-14-026, filed 9/10/98, effective 10/12/98; 86-14-071 (Order 253), § 356-14-026, filed 7/1/86, effective 8/1/86.]
|WAC 356-14-060||Compensation plan -- Additional salary surveys and studies.|
(1) Full compensation to each employee for all work assigned and performed.
(2) Regular salary increment increases based upon length of service for all employees whose performance is such as to permit them to retain job status in the classified service.
(3) Assignment of each class to a salary range reflecting prevailing rates in other public employment and in private employment in this state or in the locality in which the institution is located, provided funds are available as defined in WAC 251-08-051.
(4) The rates in the salary schedules or plans to be increased if necessary to attain comparable worth.
(5) Equal pay for similar duties, responsibilities, and
qualifications among classes as determined by the salary survey
(6))) (5) Such other provisions as are appropriate in the
establishment and maintenance of compensation equity in relation
to prevailing practices found in Washington state private
industries and other governmental units.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 41.06.150. 95-19-055, § 251-08-005, filed 9/15/95, effective 10/16/95. Statutory Authority: RCW 41.06.040 and 41.06.150. 93-19-147 (Order 432), § 251-08-005, filed 9/22/93, effective 10/23/93. Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.16.100. 87-08-056 (Order 155), § 251-08-005, filed 4/1/87, effective 5/1/87; Order 61, § 251-08-005, filed 8/30/77, effective 10/1/77.]
[Statutory Authority: RCW 41.06.150. 98-19-035, § 251-08-021, filed 9/10/98, effective 10/12/98. Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.16.100. 87-08-056 (Order 155), § 251-08-021, filed 4/1/87, effective 5/1/87; Order 61, § 251-08-021, filed 8/30/77, effective 10/1/77.]
|WAC 251-08-051||Compensation plans -- Implementation.|
|WAC 251-08-060||Compensation plans -- Additional salary survey.|
|WAC 251-01-180||Fringe benefits.|