WSR 97-14-009


[Filed June 19, 1997, 3:37 p.m.]

notice of request for attorney general's opinion

washington attorney general

The Washington Attorney General issues formal published opinions in response to requests by the heads of state agencies, state legislators, and county prosecuting attorneys. When it appears that individuals outside the Attorney General's Office have information or expertise that will assist in the preparation of a particular opinion, a summary of that opinion request will be published in the state register. If you are interested in commenting on a request listed in this volume of the register, you should notify the Attorney General's Office of your interest by July 23, 1997. This is not the due date by which comments must be received. However, if you do not notify the Attorney General's Office of your interest in commenting on an opinion request by July 23, 1997, the opinion may be issued before your comments have been received. You may notify the Attorney General's Office of your intention to comment by calling (360) 753-4114, or by writing to the Solicitor General, Office of the Attorney General, P.O. Box 40100, Olympia, WA 98504-0100. When you notify the office of your intention to comment, you will be provided with a copy of the opinion request in which you are interested; information about the Attorney General's Opinion process; information on how to submit your comments; and a due date by which your comments must be received to ensure that they are fully considered.

The Attorney General's Office seeks public input on the following opinion request(s).

97-06-01 Request by Senator Mary Margaret Haugen

1. RCW 35A.12.020 provides that a mayor-council, code city may make provision for obtaining legal counsel for the city by any reasonable contractual arrangement.

A. Does the city council in such a city have the sole authority to select a private law firm to provide legal services by contract for the city as city attorney?

B. If the city council has sole authority to select a law firm to serve as city attorney, may the contract for professional services provide that the city attorney 1) will serve at the pleasure of the city council rather than the mayor and 2) provide legal services under the direction of the city council rather than the mayor?

Legislature Code Reviser


Washington State Code Reviser's Office