STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
[Filed October 1, 1997, 10:50 a.m.]
Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 97-10-014.
Title of Rule: Chapter 180-16 WAC, State support of public schools.
Purpose: Editorial amendments.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 28A.150.220(4) and 28A.410.010.
Summary: Editorial amendments.
Reasons Supporting Proposal: See Purpose above.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting, Implementation and Enforcement: Larry Davis, State Board of Education, Olympia, (360) 753-6715.
Name of Proponent: State Board of Education, governmental.
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Explanation of Rule, its Purpose, and Anticipated Effects: See above.
Proposal Changes the Following Existing Rules: See above.
No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW. Not applicable.
Section 201, chapter 403, Laws of 1995, does not apply to this rule adoption. Not applicable.
Hearing Location: Hyatt Regency Bellevue, 900 Bellevue Way N.E., Bellevue, WA 98004, on November 19, 1997, at 1:00 p.m.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Patty Martin by October 16, 1997, TDD (360) 664-3631, or (360) 753-6715.
Submit Written Comments to: Rules Coordinator, State Board of Education, P.O. Box 47206, Olympia, WA 98504-7206, FAX (360) 586-2357.
Date of Intended Adoption: November 21, 1997.
September 30, 1997
AMENDATORY SECTION (Amending WSR 90-17-009, filed 8/6/90, effective
WAC 180-16-002 Authority. The authority for this chapter is RCW
(6))) (4) which authorizes the state board of education to
adopt rules that implement and ensure compliance with the basic program
of education requirements of RCW 28A.150.250, 28A.150.260, and
28A.150.220 and such related basic program of education requirements as
may be established by the state board of education.
[Statutory Authority: 1990 c 33. 90-17-009, 180-16-002, filed 8/6/90,
effective 9/6/90. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.58.754(6). 84-11-043
(Order 2-84), 180-16-002, filed 5/17/84.]
AMENDATORY SECTION (Amending WSR 97-04-083, filed 2/5/97, effective
WAC 180-16-221 Assignment of classroom teachers within districts.
In addition to holding teaching permits or certificates as required by
WAC 180-16-220(2), the assignment of classroom teachers in the basic
program of education((
, effective August 31, 1987,)) shall comply with
(1) Classroom teachers with standard or unendorsed continuing teacher certificates may be assigned to any grade or subject areas for which certification is required.
(2) Classroom teachers with initial or endorsed continuing teacher certificates may be assigned only to the specified grades and specified subject areas stated as endorsements upon their respective certificates or permits.
(3) Classroom teachers with initial or endorsed continuing teacher certificates who have an elementary education endorsement may be assigned to teach any subject in grades K-8.
(4) Any certificated teacher who has completed twenty-four quarter hours (sixteen semester hours) of academic study in a content area that will be offered in grades four through nine may be assigned to that course even if the teacher does not hold an endorsement in that area.
(5) Any certificated teacher may be assigned to a middle school or junior high school block program, which for the purpose of this section shall be defined as the same teacher assigned to teach two or more subject areas to the same group of students, if the teacher has an endorsement in one of the subject areas and has completed or will complete within one year nine quarter hours in each of the other subject areas.
(6) Upon determination by school districts that teachers have the competencies to be effective teachers in alternative settings, individuals with initial or endorsed continuing teacher certificates who have completed provisional status with a school district under RCW 28A.405.220 may be assigned to teach in alternative schools.
(7) Any certificated teacher may be assigned to courses offered in basic education subject areas not included with the list of endorsements specified in WAC 180-79A-302.
(8) Any certificated teacher may be assigned to serve as a substitute classroom teacher at any grade level or in any subject area for a period not to exceed thirty consecutive school days in any one assignment.
(9) Any certificated person holding a limited certificate as specified in WAC 180-79A-230 or a vocational education certificate as specified in chapter 180-77 WAC may be assigned as per the provisions of such section or chapter.
(10) If a teacher is assigned to provide special education, then the district must also comply with WAC 392-172-200 and 392-172-202.
(11) For the purpose of this section, the term "specified grades" shall mean any grade preschool through twelve specified by the classroom teacher's endorsement. In the event the teacher is assigned to an ungraded classroom, the chronological age of such students shall be converted for the purpose of compliance with this section to the grade level such students would have been assigned but for the ungraded classroom assignment.
(12) For the purpose of this section, the term "specified subject areas" shall mean courses or classes with the same subject area title as specified by the classroom teachers endorsement and courses or classes which the board of directors of the district determines to substantially include the same subject area as the endorsement--e.g., a classroom teacher with a health endorsement may be assigned to any course, regardless of course title, which substantially includes health as the subject area.
(13) Exceptions to the assignment requirements of subsection (1) of this section must comply with WAC 180-16-222.
(14) School district compliance with this section shall be subject
to the state staff review process specified in WAC 180-16-195(2).
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.150.220(6) and 28A.410.010. 97-04-083, 180-16-221, filed 2/5/97, effective 3/8/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.70.005. 87-12-040 (Order 9-87), 180-16-221, filed 6/1/87. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.58.754(6). 86-13-015 (Order 5-86), 180-16-221, filed 6/10/86.]