STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
[Filed October 1, 1997, 11:10 a.m.]
Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 97-10-006.
Title of Rule: WAC 180-78A-010 Definition of terms.
Purpose: The amendment clarifies "impact on student learning" as it applies to private schools.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 28A.410.010 and 28A.305.130.
Summary: See Purpose above.
Reasons Supporting Proposal: See Purpose above.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting, Implementation and Enforcement: Larry Davis, State Board of Education, Olympia, (360) 753-6715.
Name of Proponent: State Board of Education, governmental.
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Explanation of Rule, its Purpose, and Anticipated Effects: See above.
Proposal Changes the Following Existing Rules: See above.
No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW. Not applicable.
Section 201, chapter 403, Laws of 1995, does not apply to this rule adoption. Not applicable.
Hearing Location: Hyatt Regency Bellevue, 900 Bellevue Way N.E., Bellevue, WA 98004, on November 19, 1997, at 1:00 p.m.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Patty Martin by October 16, 1997, TDD (360) 664-3631, or (360) 753-6715.
Submit Written Comments to: Rules Coordinator, State Board of Education, P.O. Box 47206, Olympia, WA 98504-7206, FAX (360) 586-2357.
Date of Intended Adoption: November 21, 1997.
September 30, 1997
AMENDATORY SECTION (Amending WSR 97-04-084, filed 2/5/97, effective
WAC 180-78A-010 Definition of terms. The following definitions shall be used in this chapter:
(1) "College or university" means any regionally accredited baccalaureate degree granting Washington institution of higher learning or cooperative group of such institutions which has or develops programs of preparation in education which are submitted to the state board of education for approval.
(2) "Endorsement" means a specification placed on a certificate to indicate the subject area, grade level, and/or specialization for which the individual is prepared to teach.
(3) "Interstate compact" means the contractual agreement among several states authorized by RCW 28A.690.010 and 28A.690.020 which facilitates interstate reciprocity.
(4) "Program approval" means the approval by the state board of education of an educator preparation program within Washington state.
(5) "Field experience" means a sequence of learning experiences which occur in actual school settings or clinical or laboratory settings. Such learning experiences are related to specific program outcomes and are designed to integrate educational theory, knowledge, and skills in actual practice under the direction of a qualified supervisor.
(6) "Regionally accredited institution of higher education" means a community college, college, or university which is fully accredited by one of the following regional accrediting bodies:
(a) Middle States, Association of Colleges and Schools;
(b) New England Association of Schools and Colleges;
(c) North Central Association of Colleges and Schools;
(d) Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges;
(e) Southern Association of Colleges and Schools;
(f) Western Association of Schools and Colleges: Accrediting Commission for Junior and Senior Colleges.
(7) "A performance-based approved educator preparation program" means a program that requires the candidate to demonstrate in multiple ways, over time, specific state board of education required standards, criteria, knowledge and skills, including, where appropriate, evidence related to positive impact on student learning.
(8) "A positive impact on student learning" means that a teacher through instruction and assessment has been able to document students' increased knowledge and/or demonstration of a skill or skills related to the state goals and/or essential academic learning requirements: Provided, That teachers employed by private schools who are candidates for the professional teaching certificate shall document students' increased knowledge and/or demonstration of a skill or skills related to either:
(a) The state goals or essential academic learning requirements; or
(b) Such alternative learning goals as the private school has
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.130. 97-04-084, 180-78A-010, filed 2/5/97, effective 3/8/97.]