DEPARTMENT OF LICENSING
(Board of Funeral Directors and Embalmers)
[Filed October 14, 1997, 10:11 a.m.]
Date of Adoption: September 18, 1997.
Purpose: To amend WAC 308-48-031 to address the minimum facility, equipment, and prep standards that are necessary for operating a funeral establishment.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 308-48-031.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 18.39.175(4).
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 97-16-063 on August 1, 1997.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's own Initiative: New 0, amended 1, repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, amended 0, repealed 0.
Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
September 18, 1997
AMENDATORY SECTION (Amending Order PM 716, filed 3/28/88)
WAC 308-48-031 Funeral establishment facility, equipment, and
embalming and preparation room standards. ((
(1) Embalming.)) A funeral
establishment or branch establishment shall:
(1) Have an exclusive area/office at an identified location for conducting the business which is accessible to the public.
(2) Provide private and secure area(s) for holding human remains which will include:
(a) A refrigerated holding area of adequate capacity for unembalmed remains with a maximum temperature of 48 degrees Fahrenheit;
(b) A sink with hot and cold running water;
(c) Covered receptacles for soiled linens, bandages, refuse and other waste materials which meet OSHA, WISHA, department of health and any other applicable regulations;
(d) Adequate chemicals for the disinfection of human remains and the equipment used in handling and caring for human remains;
(e) Chemical storage that meets OSHA, WISHA, department of health and any other applicable regulations.
(3) Provide rest rooms that are available for staff and the public.
(4) In the case where the holding of human remains is not provided at this facility, provide the identification of the facility upon request to the board and the individual or individuals that has/have the right to control the disposition of the human remains where this establishment or branch provides for the holding and/or preparation of the human remains entrusted to its care (this off-site facility must meet the requirements of subsection (2) of this section).
(5) Provide for the privacy of uncasketed human remains in vehicles used for transportation of the remains by screening, curtains, or adequately tinted windows.
(6) Provide that if embalming is performed at the establishment or
branch, no embalming of a ((
body of a deceased person)) human remains
shall be performed in a funeral establishment or branch establishment
except in a room set aside exclusively for embalming (( or other
preparation)) of a (( body of a deceased person)) human remains. Such
room shall be maintained and kept in a clean sanitary condition(( .
(2) Embalming and preparation room.)), and every embalming and
preparation room shall be constructed, equipped, and maintained as
(a) The surfaces of the floor, walls, and ceiling shall be covered with tile or other hard, smooth, impervious washable material.
(b) The room shall be adequately lighted and adequately ventilated. The ventilation shall be provided by an exhaust fan or by an appropriate air-conditioning unit which will completely remove objectionable fumes.
(c) The room shall be equipped and provided with hot and cold running water, a utility sink, and cabinets, closets or shelves for instruments and supplies.
(d) The room shall be equipped with adequate sewage and waste disposal and drainage facilities and systems.
(e) The doors shall be tight closing and rigid and any windows of the room shall be so maintained as to obstruct any view into such room. The room's entry door(s) must be labeled "Private" or "Authorized Entry Only."
(f) The embalming or preparation table shall be nonporous.
(g) The room shall be equipped with proper and convenient covered
receptacles for refuse, bandages, cotton, and other waste materials.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.39.157(4) [18.39.175(4)]. 88-08-015 (Order PM 716), 308-48-031, filed 3/28/88.]